Recently, I am working on a bug reported by one of our tester. The issue stating none of the Coveo pages on few of the SXA websites working post upgrade of Coveo SXA module.
The website suddenly started showing error message “The component is not available at this moment. Please contact the site administrator.” under Coveo’s Search Resources Component on the website pages.
Strangely, the same functionality(or rather I say partial design) used by other SXA website are working like charm. But only 2 websites which has whole Coveo Search functionality has been broken.
First obvious thing I did was open the Google and search for the error message. After some time spending on reading multiple blogs and articles, I come with this link on Coveo’s articles.
As Article suggested, I have verified both the conditions, firstly checked extranet/Anonymous(user and domain configure with Site Definition) has read access to both Sitecore/System/Dictionary items and additional dictionary item configured at the Coveo Search Resource Data source item. Secondly, checked we have correct dictionary item selected under the field Additional Dictionaries for Coveo Search Resources item configured as data source to respected UI component.
Now, I was trying to isolate the issue, to make sure the issue is due to either dictionary or its child items. So, I tried to remove the dictionary item form the additional dictionary field, publish the item and magically all the broken Coveo Pages started working…!!!
So now, I am sure there is something to do with the dictionary item for that SXA website.
I started decoding the Coveo Search Resources SXA UI component and found the logic for getting the component properties have a validation which validates the unique dictionary keys under the selected dictionary.
This is a great lead…..!!!(it took me fair few hours of dotPeeking to find this out) That left me with great confidence that there are some dictionary entry item which has the duplicate value in the Field Key.
I did first obvious check of unique item name by turning validation rule on via Sitecore’s Content Editor’s left gutter.
But none of the dictionary entry items have duplicate name. So now, I need to relay on my Poweshell skills to find the duplicate value on Key field of item /sitecore/templates/System/Dictionary/Dictionary entry.
I did created and executed the script to find the duplicate value in the field and found there is one entry under the dictionary which has exact same value present in the Key Field.
I removed that unwanted entry item which is lately added by one of the content editor while copying dictionary entries from older SXA website to the new one.
Happy Coveo Sitecore search…!!!