The QA team, we are working with has raised a very interesting issue while testing newly created data report using Sitecore Poershell Extenstion(SPE).
The data report was executing perfectly but while trying to export the data in any of pre-defined formats offered by SPE, it was not working.
The Sitecore Powershell is allowing export of report data in various industrial standard formats out of the box as listed below:
These formats have option links in the ribbon above but when clicking, none of those producing any output.
First step is to try to reproduce the issue. We tried on all the available environments and it is happening on every environment except for the local environment.
I though the issue may have to do with some missing config or SPE. So, we quickly try to re-install the SPE module on CM with no over-write option for both files and content on Integration Environment. But that does not fix the issue. ☹
So, we started listing what are the major difference from modules and features point of view between local development and other environments on Azure. It turns out that all other environments have exactly the same piece of code, configurations and modules installed except for Federated Authentication using Sitecore Identity Server for CM.
We did quick search over the internet and one of my colleague found out that there is one file which is disabled for SPE which needs to be enable if we are using sitecore 9.1 and higher(we are running 9.3) along with identity server.
The file needs to be enabled is
Spe.IdentityServer.config file which is part of the SPE package.
Once package is installed, the file is located at path <<website Root>>\App_Config\Include\Spe\Spe.IdentityServer.config.disabled. The content of this disabled file is as below.
<configuration xmlns:patch="http://www.sitecore.net/xmlconfig/" xmlns:role="http://www.sitecore.net/xmlconfig/role/" xmlns:security="http://www.sitecore.net/xmlconfig/security/">
<sitecore role:require="Standalone or ContentManagement" security:require="Sitecore">
<processor type="Sitecore.Owin.Authentication.Pipelines.CookieAuthentication.ValidateIdentity.ValidateSiteNeutralPaths, Sitecore.Owin.Authentication">
<!-- This entry corrects the infinite loop of ExecuteCommand in the SPE Console -->
Tip: The best way to get these config enable in Docker container world, is to leave the above mentioned .disabled file as is. Create new configuration file with above content in Visual Studio solution deploying to z folder under app_config\include on your binding volume path which will be taken care by Sitecore config patching.
Enjoy exporting SPE reports data…!!!